Stats & Records
Wins by Knockout
Wins by Submission
First Round Finishes
- Sig. Strikes Landed
- Sig. Strikes Attempted
- Takedowns Landed
- Takedowns Attempted
- Sig. Str. Defense is the percentage of significant strikes attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Takedown defense is the percentage of takedowns attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Knockdown Avg. is the average number of knockdowns per 15 Minutes window.
Sig. Str. By Position
Sig. Str. by target
Win by Method
- MMA Pro since 2010
- Eight wins by KO, one by submission (RNC)
- Owns a combined 57-0 kickboxing record, which includes over 40 KOs
- Brother-in-laws are Carlos Machado and Chris Weidman
- Has trained with Anderson Silva, Weidman, Georges St-Pierre, Rashad Evans, Nate Marquardt, and Keith Jardine
- Has 11-5-1 record in his last 17 fights; has won three of his last five
- Five first round finishes
- Origin of nickname: “It came when I was 15. I fought a guy that was in his early to mid twenties and held a couple state kickboxing titles. He was undefeated also. I put a beating on him that totally baffled people, as it was my first fight. My dad threw my in DEEP. He wanted to see if this was what I REALLY wanted to do. After the fight the guy I beat was totally demoralized that he got essentially spanked by a 15-year-old in his first fight and made the comment "I wonder why I got in the ring with that boy." So the commentator heard this and called me Wonderboy. Also when I was a younger kid I'd sing and dance and my sister’s then boyfriend would call me Stevie Wonder so somehow all this turned into Wonderboy. Yeah, kinda crazy.”
UFC on ESPN (12/3/22) Thompson defeated Kevin Holland via TKO (doctor stoppage) at 5:00 of the fourth round
UFC Fight Night (12/18/21) Thompson lost a three-round unanimous decision to Belal Muhammad
UFC 264 (7/10/21) Thompson lost a three-round unanimous decision to Gilbert Burns
UFC Fight Night (12/19/20) Thompson won a five-round unanimous decision over Geoff Neal
UFC 244 (11/2/19) Thompson won a three-round unanimous decision over Vicente Luque
UFC Fight Night (3/23/19) Thompson was knocked out by Anthony Pettis at 4:55 of the second round
UFC Fight Night (5/27/18) Thompson lost a five-round unanimous decision to Darren Till
UFC 217 (11/4/17) Thompson won a three round unanimous decision over Jorge Masvidal
UFC 209 (3/4/17) Thompson lost a five round majority decision to Tyron Woodley in a fight for the UFC welterweight title
UFC 205 (11/12/16) Thompson fought to a five round draw with Tyron Woodley in a fight for the UFC welterweight title
UFC Fight Night (6/18/16) Thompson won a five round unanimous decision over Rory MacDonald
UFC Fight Night (2/6/16) Thompson stopped Johny Hendricks via strikes at 3:31 of the first round
TUF 21 Finale (7/12/15) Thompson knocked out Jake Ellenberger at 4:29 of the first round
UFC 178 (9/27/14) Thompson won a three round unanimous decision over Patrick Cote
UFC 170 (2/22/14) Thompson stopped Robert Whittaker via strikes at 3:43 of the first round
UFC 165 (9/21/13) Thompson stopped Chris Clements via strikes at 1:27 of the second round
UFC 160 (5/25/13) Thompson won a three round unanimous decision over Nah-Shon Burrell
UFC 145 (4/21/12) Thompson lost a three round unanimous decision to Matt Brown
UFC 143 (2/4/12) Thompson knocked out Dan Stittgen at 4:13 of the first round.
When and why did you start training for fighting? When I was three years old. My father was a professional fighter and owned a Karate school. All the kids in our family started training at age three.
What ranks and titles have you held? Five-time world champion kickboxer. I hold a 5th degree black belt in Tetsushin Ryu Kempo Karate, a 1st degree in Tetsushin Ryu Jujitsu and a Purple belt in RCJ Machado Jiu-jitsu.
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? I want to fight the best in the world and I want to be a champion, so being the in the UFC is a dream come true.
What was your job before you started fighting? I've worked at my family's karate academy, doing everything from cleaning bathrooms to what I do now as the head kids’ instructor.
Specific accomplishments in amateur competition? 37-0, 16 amateur kickboxing titles:
- 1999 ISKA Georgia State Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 ISKA Southeast Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 IKF East Coast Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 PKC National Light Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 IKF National Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2000 USAKBF North American Middleweight Amateur Champion
- 2001 IKF National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2001 PKC National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2001 USAKBF World Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2001 WPKA World Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2002 IKF National Light Heavyweight Amateur Champion
- 2002 IKF North American Light Cruiserweight Amateur Champion
- 2003 U.S. National Martial Arts Team World Cup Light Heavyweight Champion
- 2003 KICK North American Cruiserweight Champion
- 2003 I.A.K.S.A. World Champion
- 2003 IKF FCR Amateur Light Cruiserweight World Champion
Specific accomplishments in pro competition? Undefeated - competed in the Chuck Norris World Combat League
Favorite grappling technique: RNC
Favorite Striking technique: Spinning Backfist