Stats & Records
Wins by Knockout
Wins by Submission
First Round Finishes
- Sig. Strikes Landed
- Sig. Strikes Attempted
- Takedowns Landed
- Takedowns Attempted
- Sig. Str. Defense is the percentage of significant strikes attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Takedown defense is the percentage of takedowns attempted against a fighter that do not land.
- Knockdown Avg. is the average number of knockdowns per 15 Minutes window.
Sig. Str. By Position
Sig. Str. by target
Win by Method
- Pro since 2010
- Seven wins by submission (4 triangle, 1 RNC, 2 guillotine), three by KO, five by decision
- Four first round finishes
- Has gone the five round championship distance three times
- Last pre-UFC bout was five round decision win over Keoni Koch (brother of UFC vet Erik Koch) on 1/24/14.
UFC on ABC (7/16/22) Ortega was defeated by Yair Rodriguez via TKO (injury) at 4:11 of the first round
UFC 266 (9/25/21) Ortega lost a five round unanimous decision to Alexander Volkanovski in a fight for the UFC featherweight title
UFC Fight Night (10/17/20) Ortega won a five round unanimous decision over Chan Sung Jung
UFC 231 (12/8/18) Ortega lost via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) to Max Holloway at 5:00 of the fourth round in a fight for the UFC featherweight title
UFC 222 (3/3/18) Ortega knocked out Frankie Edgar at 4:44 of the first round
UFC Fight Night (12/9/17) Ortega submitted Cub Swanson via guillotine choke at 3:22 of the second round
UFC 214 (7/29/17) Ortega submitted Renato Moicano via guillotine choke at 2:59 of the third round
UFC 199 (6/4/16) Ortega knocked out Clay Guida at 4:40 of the third round
UFC 195 (1/2/16) Ortega submitted Diego Brandao via triangle choke at 1:37 of the third round
UFC Fight Night (6/6/15) Ortega stopped Thiago Tavares via strikes at 4:10 of the third round
UFC on FOX (7/26/14) Ortega’s win over Mike De La Torre was overturned to a no contest when Ortega failed a post-fight drug test
TRAINING: Jiu-Jitsu in the morning, boxing and conditioning at night
When and why did you start training for fighting? I lived in a rough area so I started fighting at age five.
What ranks and titles have you held? Respect in the Cage and RFA featherweight champion
Do you have any heroes? My dad
What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? All my hard work paid off and got me here; I want to see what I can do now in the UFC.
What was your job before you started fighting? I still teach Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA
Specific accomplishments in amateur competition? Undefeated in amateur career, all finishes
Ranks in any martial arts styles: Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt
Favorite grappling technique: Triangle
Favorite striking technique: Jab